Bathtubs come in many shapes and sizes and it’s all about your personal preference. While all shapes are designed to be comfortable, some are way more comfortable to use than the average tub. This depends on the shape and other included features.
The most comfortable bathtub shape is oval with oval bathtubs being favored for their great aesthetics as well. For oval tubs, you have a choice between the popular freestanding and drop-in tubs which combine the features of oval and rectangular tubs for the best comfort and appearance.
The most comfortable bathtub is the KOHLER 5716-VB-0 Underscore Bathtub. It’s an oval tub with VibrAcoustic technology which provides relaxation through vibrations and sound. It also has chromotherapy through the lights for ultimate comfort and bathing satisfaction.
The most comfortable bathtub shapes
Comfortable bathtubs come in different shapes as follows:
|Bathtub Shape||Main Features|
|Corner tubs||Price: $1,300 – $ 8,000 or more.|
Size: 42”-76” (L) by 31”-83” (W) by 17”-29” (H/D).
Pros: Utilize corners that would be dead space.
Cons: Bulky in appearance and physically.
|Round tubs||Price: $1,300 – $25,000 or more.|
Size: 40”-76” diameter with varying depths.
Pros: Can be sunken to save bathroom space.
Cons: Upright sitting is not very comfortable.
|Oval tubs||Price: $850 – $80,000 or more.|
Size: 43”-74” (L) by 16”-40” (H/D).
Pros: The most comfortable tub shape.
Cons: Limited deck space.
|Hourglass tubs||Price: $1,250 – $7,700 or more.|
Size: 59”-72” (L) by 28”-48” (W) by 16”34” (H/D).
Cons: Create dead space.
|Slipper tubs||Price: $900 – $35,000 or more. |
Size: 30”-80” (L) by 19”-67” (W) by 36” (H)
Pros: Ergonomic and comfortable.
Cons: Create dead space.
|Square tubs||Price: $1,700 – $30,000 or more.|
Size: 40”-70” on each side.
Pros: Saves on bathroom space.
Cons: Needs to be large to be enough in size.
|Rectangular tubs||Price: $660 – $28,000 or more.|
Size: 48”-86” (L) by 27”-84” (W) by 16”-45” (H).
Pros: Saves on bathroom space.
Cons: Can be bulky and disinteresting.
|Specialty tubs||Price: Varying but costly.|
Size: Different sizes as per your needs.
Pros: Fit specific needs.
Cons: May require professional installation.
Corner tubs are bathtubs with 3 or 5 sides that are meant to fit into corners. You can have them in different shapes and sizes as long as they fit into the corner. Given their location in the corners, these tubs can be made to be larger and deeper than others without taking up too much space in the rest of the bathroom. They also allow you have a bathtub where other shapes aren’t practical. Corner tubs are some of the most comfortable bathtubs.
Corner tubs cost $1,300 to at least $8,000. Corner tubs often have dimensions of 42”-76” (length) by 31”-83” (width) by 17”-29” (height). Owing to their shapes and sizes, corner tubs can fit more than one user at a time. The most common corner tubs measure either 4’x4’ or 5’x5’. Depending on your needs, you can have an extra deep soaking tub as a corner tub.
The advantages of corner tubs include the following:
- Makes use of corners and other dead spaces where other types of bathtubs wouldn’t normally fit.
- Corner tubs are unique in shape and add to the beauty of your bathroom.
- Given their shape, they provide more bathing space than other tubs.
- Provide a lot of deck space.
- Can be easily combined with a shower.
- Many shapes and sizes to chose from.
The disadvantages of corner tubs include the following:
- Can be quite bulky physically and in appearance.
- Some corners of the tub can be difficult to reach and clean.
- Some shapes be difficult to enter and exit.
The comfort of corner tubs depends on many aspects including the shape and size. You can easily get a deep soaking tub with a shower with the corner tubs than most other tubs. However, all corner tubs are meant to be among the most comfortable soaking tubs on the market whether you choose an acrylic or cast iron tub (or other material).
The next popular tub shape is the round tub and is among the most comfortable freestanding tubs available. Round tubs are circular all around and can be placed just about anywhere in the bathroom.
Round tubs cost about $1,300 to over $25,000 depending on the size and material used. They range from a diameter of 40” to 76” with varying depths. If you want a freestanding deep soaking tub, get one that’s deeper, larger, and can accommodate more than one user.
Round freestanding bathtubs are Japanese soaking tubs since they require the user to sit upright rather than in a reclined position. This is beneficial if you prefer this sitting position when in the tub. However, it can be restrictive especially to those with mobility issues and tall users.
Round tubs have the following advantages:
- Economical with space.
- Provide comfortable upright bathing in a deep tub.
- Add beauty to the bathroom.
- Can be sunken to save on space.
- Accommodate more than one person when large enough.
The disadvantages of a round tub include the following:
- The upright position isn’t comfortable to everyone.
- Creates dead space in the bathroom due to the circular shape.
- You can’t stretch easily due to having less internal space.
- Difficult to get in and out.
The most ideal bathtub backrest angle is 115° on the inside and 65° on the outside. This allows you slightly slant backward when using the tub. However, circular tubs have a bathtub lumbar angle of 90°. As such, round tubs aren’t the most comfortable. Even then, round tubs are two-person soaking tubs packed with many great features.
The most comfortable bath shape is oval since it has the right bathtub lumbar angle and features rounded ends for comfort. Oval tubs also look very beautiful since they combine the best bits of round and rectangular tubs.
Oval tubs cost anything from $850 to more than $80,000 depending on the size, materials, and accessories. Oval tubs have lengths between 43” and 74” with depths between 16” and 40” or more as per your needs. As such, oval tubs are among the best soaking bathtubs owing to their bath shapes and level of comfort.
The advantages of oval bathtubs include:
- Among of the most comfortable bathtub shapes.
- Come in many configurations to fit various bathrooms.
- Easy to clean as you can reach all corners.
- Beautiful shape and design.
The disadvantages of oval bathtubs include:
- Some are so heavy that you need to reinforce your floor.
- Not economical with space in the bathroom.
- Has limited deck space.
- Limited space to store items when the tub is freestanding.
With oval tubs, you have lots of options and benefits one of which is their high level of comfort. However, since they’re mostly found in cast iron and other heavy materials, you need to reinforce the floor to support their weight. Still, oval tubs are among the top-rated bathtubs you can find. You can get light bathtub materials like acrylic to avoid reinforcing the floor.
Hourglass tubs are in an hourglass or figure 8 shape whereby the top is oval but the center is curved when seen from the top. The result is a beautiful and very comfortable tub with armrests as well.
Hourglass tubs cost from $1,250 to at least $7,700 depending on the size and materials used. They measure 59”-72” (length), 28”-48” (width), and 16”34” (depth). Hourglass tubs are among the most beautiful soaking bath tubs as they have a unique shape with lots of curves.
The advantages of hourglass tubs include the following:
- Very comfortable owing to the curves and contours.
- Have sufficient deck space for most users.
- Come in many shapes and designs.
The disadvantages of hourglass tubs include:
- The hourglass shape wastes some space inside the tub.
- More difficult to install than conventionally-shaped tubs.
- Can be difficult to get in and out of the tub.
Hourglass tubs are among the best ergonomic bathtubs given their contours and curves which make them comfortable to use. They have the right backrest angle and can thus be used for long periods without fatigue.
Slipper tubs have one or two sides that are raised and sloping. They can be a single slipper tub when one side is raised, or a double slipper tub when both sides are raised. These are ergonomic tubs that are also very comfortable to use and are used as 2 person deep soaking tubs in most cases.
Also called angled tubs, slipper tubs cost about $900 to at least $35,000. Their dimensions are 30”-80” (length), 19”-67” (width), and up to 36” (depth). Given their ergonomic shape, slipper tubs are very comfortable since they provide a backrest and armrests with their slipping ends.
The advantages of slipper tubs are:
- Have an ergonomic shape that is very comfortable.
- One of the best soaking bathtubs for two.
- Beautiful design.
The disadvantages of slipper tubs are:
- Can create dead space around them given their typically large sizes.
- May require additional floor support owing to their being heavy.
- Costlier than other tub shapes.
Slipper tubs are great luxury soaking tubs due to their classic shapes and high level of comfort. However, getting this soaker tub in your home may cost you a lot since they don’t come cheap.
Square tubs have all four sides equal in length. They’re typically large soaking bathtubs to create enough space for the bather. You can get an oversized soaking tub in a square shape that’s large enough to fit more than one user. Square tubs can be made to have circular bathing wells to provide more depth and deck space.
Square tubs cost about $1,700 to at least $30,000 depending on the features they come with. Most measure from 40” to about 70” depending on the user’s needs. Owing to their unique shape, square bathrooms can be made into small soaking tubs for small bathrooms. If you have more space, you can buy a big soaking tub instead.
The advantages of square tubs are:
- Provide deep bathing wells.
- Can be sunken to save on space in the bathroom.
- Save on space since they can be installed in the corner of the bathroom.
- Provide lots of deck space.
- Have a smaller footprint than other tubs.
- Can have circular bathing wells for more comfort.
The disadvantages of square tubs are:
- Can be difficult to get in and out of.
- May be hard to keep clean due to some hard-to-reach corners.
- Need to be large to provide enough bathing space.
Square tubs have many sizes and you can have short soaking tubs which focus more on the depth than the horizontal size. Still, they offer some of the best features when it comes to comfort and deck space.
Rectangular tubs have two long and two shorter sides and are the most popular types of bathtubs. They also come in many configurations with 60-inch soaking tubs (length) being the most common length. Deep soaking tubs in an alcove design are also common. Rectangular soaking tubs can also be freestanding. Depending on the materials used, you can get a lightweight bathtub in a rectangular shape as well.
Rectangular tubs cost anything from as low as $660 (even less) to more than $28,000. This depends on the material, size, and other features. They measure 48”-86” (length), 27”-84” (width), and 16”-45” (depth). They can be found in all materials from cast iron to acrylic and many others.
The advantages of rectangular tubs are as follows:
- More cost efficient than other shapes.
- Have a cleaner and linear appearance.
- Save on space due to an easily manageable shape. Most bathrooms can accommodate the linear shape.
- Many installation options (alcove, freestanding, sunken, corner, drop-in).
- Provide lots of storage and deck space.
The disadvantages of rectangular tubs include:
- The solid and heavy shape can appear bulky and disinteresting.
- Alcove tubs need a lot of wall space.
- May be difficult to keep clean due to hidden corners (especially alcove tubs).
If you’re in need of a soaking tub with a shower, rectangular tubs can meet that need depending on the space available and the size of the tub. With the shower and tub combination, you can take a bath and shower in the same place.
Besides the typical bathtub shapes, you can also opt for unique shapes such as octagons, triangles, heart shapes, and many others. These are specialty shapes that will cost more than their conversational versions. Besides that, they’ll need special installations with an expert being required.
Most comfortable bathtubs
While the oval bathtubs are the most comfortable, there are some other bathtubs that have been packed with features that make them comfortable to use. Nice tubs will have the right size, depth, heat retention, and deck space.
Below are three of the most comfortable bathtubs based on their shape and extras:
1. KOHLER 5716-VB-0 Underscore Bathtub
The KOHLER Underscore Bath comes with VibrAcoustic technology which provides sound and vibrations through the tub for a soothing session. You can load your music in the speakers which will also send massaging vibrations through the water to your body for a soothing experience.
- Deep and oval tub for relaxation and comfort.
- Comes with VibrAcoustic technology for relaxation through sound and vibrations.
- Can connect to your music source through bluetooth for music.
- Has chromotherapy for relaxing lights.
- Has hydrotherapy capabilities for further relaxation.
- Quite costly but deservedly so.
KOHLER is one of the best bathtub brands and they receive some of the highest tub ratings for their tubs. The KOHLER Underscore is among their best tubs and its features set it aside from the rest.
2. Sinkology TBT-6631CL Heisenberg Handmade Pure Solid Freestanding Claw Foot Bath Tub
This 5.5’ antique copper tub is a freestanding slipper tub which is one of the most unique tubs on the market. Being a handmade tub made of high-quality copper shows how much care was taken in crafting this bathtub.
- High level of heat retention due to being made of copper.
- The copper used is highly durable and long-lasting.
- A very beautiful tub that will transform your bathroom.
- Unique design that’s handcrafted for each user.
- Brass claws provide a strong and beautiful accent to the tub.
- At 300 pounds of weight, you’ll need to strengthen the floor before installing this tub. You’ll also need help moving it.
- Copper surfaces may develop a patina with time although this isn’t a major problem.
- Can be affected by harsh chemicals such as strong acids and bases.
- It’s an expensive tub owing to the high quality materials.
- Requires expert installation especially when it comes to the strengthening of the floor.
- Sinkology tubs don’t come with drain kits and faucets and will thus require you buy your own. It’s a small cost though.
If you’re looking for the best quality bathtubs, the Sinkology Heisenberg should be high on your priority list given its many qualities and impressive level of comfort. In the freestanding bathtub reviews, the Sinkology Heisenberg is the best.
3. American Standard 7236V002.020 Evolution Deep Soaking Tub with Reversible Drain
Wrapping up the bathtub reviews is the highly impressive rectangular American Standard Evolution Tub. It’s a large and deep tub that can be installed either as an undermount or drop-in setup. Besides its reversible drain, it’s very comfortable with molded armrests, and contoured lumbar support.
- Very comfortable for people of all heights and sizes.
- Has an ergonomic design with contoured lumbar support and molded armrests.
- Requires professional installation.
- Needs a drop-in or undermount installation.
- Not usable by everyone given its depth (too deep for kids).
The American Standard Evolution ticks all the right boxes in terms of comfort and size. However, you’ll need a professional to properly install it. Other than that, it has glowing reviews.
In choosing the bathtub of your choice, focus on the materials, ease of installation, your lifestyle, bathtub style, size, shape, and price.