Mushroom Growing in Bathroom: Removal and Prevention

A mushroom is a large type of mold that will grow in warm and humid areas with low light. Sadly, that may include your bathroom. While this is scary, removing mushrooms growing in your bathroom is quite easy as shall be detailed in the sections below. 

Mushrooms grow in the bathroom due to the warm and humid conditions there. Being a type of mold, mushrooms prefer fibrous surfaces to grow. Remove mushrooms from the bathroom by scrubbing them away and throwing away any infested items. Prevent shower mushrooms by keeping the bathroom dry and clean.

Mushroom Growing in Bathroom

What is mushroom mold?

Mushrooms are a type of fungi that are a type of mold. Like all types of mold, mushrooms grow in areas that are warm and moist and with low light. Mushrooms growing in the shower can be found anywhere from the floor, walls, and even the ceiling. As long as the conditions in a given area are right, mushrooms will grow there. 

What does shower mushroom look like?

Shower mushroom appears as black or dark green masses in different sizes and in no specific pattern. It grows on the moistest areas of the bathroom and will have a musty odor. 

Bathroom mushroom identification is important since it helps you determine the type of mold you’re dealing with and how to best eliminate and prevent it. Given that most types of mold are harmful to your health and come in different colors that may be hard to identify, you need to always protect yourself when handling it. 

Are mold mushrooms dangerous?

Mushrooms are often black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum) which is dangerous when inhaled or eaten. Even when it’s not black mold mushroom, most types of mold are dangerous. You may experience shortness of breath and other respiratory issues. In some cases, poisonous mushrooms cause death. 

For this reason, always handle bathroom fungus with gloves and a mask to stay safe. However, not all types of mushrooms in the bathroom are dangerous. 

Where is mushroom in the bathroom found?

You will find mushrooms growing on the walls, ceilings, doors, floors, curtains, and just about any other part of the bathroom. As stated earlier, bathroom mold will grow anywhere damp and warm which includes most parts of the shower. 

If you see mushrooms growing out of the ceiling, it means the ceiling is damp. Also, if you see mushrooms growing out of the wall or in the sink drain, it means that both areas have been exposed to moisture for a long time thus providing the conditions for the mold to grow. Toilet mushroom is also common when you have a leaking toilet.

What causes mushroom mold in the shower?

Mushroom growing in the bathroom is caused by fungal spores which are tiny single-celled organisms. Fungi spores are present on clothing, in the air, and in many other places. However, they only start germinating when two such cells come together.

The conditions favoring mold growth include the following:

Moisture

All types of mold including fungi like mushrooms live on moist surfaces since they use the water for growth and nutrition. As such, wet, humid, and damp conditions like those in the shower are perfect for them. 

Warmth

Mold thrives in warm conditions from 77°F to 86°F and will not grow below 40°F. It is the reason food is refrigerated at temperatures below 40°F. The bathroom is warm enough for these conditions especially when it’s not ventilated enough or warm showers are taken frequently. 

Food

Mold feeds on any organic material and will thus have lots of food sources in the home. That includes wood, wool, cotton, paper, and just about anything organic in your bathroom and home in general.

Oxygen

Mold is an aerobic microbe which means that it relies on oxygen to germinate and grow. This is plenty in the shower and it will thus thrive. Even on small amounts of oxygen, mold will still grow well. 

All these conditions are available in the bathroom hence the high likelihood of mold growth. Of all the conditions, the easiest to control is moisture since your bathroom can’t lack oxygen, warmth, or any organic material for the mold to grow in. 

How to remove mushroom in the shower

Shower mushroom removal should preferably be done by a professional as directed by the EPA especially when it has spread widely. However, you can use mold remedies right at home to eliminate the mushroom and mold from your bathroom. In all the methods, use gloves, a mask, and any other protective gear. 

You should eliminate shower mushrooms as follows:

Clean out the mushroom

This method works on mushroom which hasn’t spread too much. You can use it to remove the mushroom growing from the ceiling, floor, wall, or any other part of the bathroom as follows:

  1. Put on protective gear such as a mask, goggles and a pair of gloves. 
  2. Spray a fungicide of your choice or a bleach cleaner on the mushroom. 
  3. After 30 minutes, scrub the area with mushrooms with a brush. Be careful not to damage areas with grout or other delicate surfaces. If the mushrooms are large enough, pluck them off the surface they’re growing on before scrubbing. 
  4. Rinse with water then let it dry.
  5. Spray the area with a mold disinfectant to prevent further growth of mold. 

This should work if the mold isn’t spread too much in the shower. This method is also used to remove mold from bathroom sealants.

Remove the surfaces the mushroom grows on

For large amounts of mushroom and mold in general, the fixes are as follows:

  • Throw away any mold-infested items in the home including rags, wood, and even wall panels. 
  • Remove and reinstall any tiles or other materials used to cover floors, walls and ceilings if the mold has spread deep into the floor, wall or ceiling. 

If none of these methods work, always call for a professional to fix it for you. 

How to prevent mushroom in the bathroom

It’s quite easy to prevent mushrooms from growing in the bathroom. Given that mushrooms and mold, in general, thrive in warm and moist areas away from direct sunlight, you can prevent them from growing in your bathroom as follows:

Mold causesMold prevention method
Moisture Keep the bathroom dry and ventilated
WarmthKeep the bathroom ventilated
Food Avoid fibrous material in the shower
OxygenNo solution

Keep the bathroom dry

After every shower, wipe the walls and floor dry then let the room stay ventilated. If there’s no window to naturally allow air in, turn on the fan or dehumidifier for at least 30 minutes after each shower. You’re lucky if there’s a window or wall where direct sunlight can come in since sunlight is a great natural mold remedy. You can use a ventilation fan like the Broan-NuTone 688 Ceiling and Wall Ventilation Fan.

Keep fabrics dry

Fabrics such as carpets, towels, rugs, and shower curtains need to be cleaned and kept dry at all times. Air them after each use even when not wishing them. Given the fibrous nature of these items, mold will quickly send out its roots (mycelia) into the material making it hard to get rid of it. Left to grow, the mold and mildew may force you to throw away your rags and towels. It’s one reason shower doors are better than shower curtains.

You’re also better off with nylon shower curtains than those made of fibrous materials such as cotton or wool. Some curtains even come with a mold-resistant film on them. 

Repair bathroom leaks

Repair leaks in the showerhead, pipes, toilets, and any other parts of the shower to deny mold the moisture it needs for growth. This also entails resealing leaking joints to contain the leaks.

Keep the bathroom clean

Besides the cleaning and drying you do after each shower, you should consistently clean the shower stall [LINK] to wash away any developing mold and mildew. 

Use fungicides

Spray fungicides that are meant to prevent and kill mold and mold spores on the bathroom surfaces such as doors, walls, floors, and ceilings. You should also add some bleach into the washing machine when cleaning towels and bathroom rags to kill any mold they might have. 

With these methods, any mold spores will be killed off before they germinate and spread into the shower and the rest of the home. I highly advise that you always get a professional to remove the mold if it has spread widely since it’s both dangerous and requires special skills to fully eliminate the mold. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *