Old shower pans may start wearing out, discolouring, and scuffing with age. This can make our shower seem dirty and unattractive, somewhere you would not like to take a bath. You may be forced to replace your shower pan on such an occasion, which can be expensive and disruptive. However, another perfect alternative is to restore it by adding a coat of paint.
To achieve an attractive look on your painted finish, you will need the best paint, follow the proper steps, and get all the materials for the job. This discussion will show you the right approach to painting your shower pan. Keep reading!
Can You Paint a Shower Pan?
Yes, you can paint a shower pan. However, it would be best to have adhesive and resin paint for the best painting coat. Also, using the right tools and preparation for this task is key to getting the best look.
For the best shower pan paint layer, you will need to clean it with some elbow grease, scrub it, and rinse it to give your shower pan a new look.
Best Paint for Shower Pan
The best shower pan paint will differ from one pan material to another. Here are the four shower pan options and the appropriate paint:
1. Acrylic Shower Pans
Acrylic polymer paint is the best option for acrylic shower pans. This paint is water-based paint that comes when wet. They offer a permanent coat when dry and will stick firmly on the applied surface. Luckily, they have no fumes, low odour and are non-flammable.
2. Fiberglass Shower Pans
Acrylic or epoxy paint is ideal for fibreglass pans because it is highly resistant to damage and water. On the other hand, acrylic paint is also effective on a fibreglass shower pan. It is water-resistant and hard-wearing but must be applied on top of a latex primer.
3. Cultured Stone Shower Pans
An epoxy paint professionally engineered for tubs, showers and counterparts works well on cultured stone shower pans. The painting is relatively cheap as compared to restoration or replacement. Notably, it offers an excellent refreshing look that makes your shower pan almost resemble a new one.
4. Tile Shower Pans
Tile shower pans require a paint colour and design that gives a refreshing look. The best paints for such shower pans may include acrylic, epoxy, Valspar Premium Enamel Spray Paint, and Rust-Oleum Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit. These paints offer a smooth, stiff and durable coating. Luckily, they are damaged and water-resistant and will dry in less than one hour.
How To Paint A Shower Pan
Before getting prepared to paint your shower pan, learning the essential safety precautions is essential. They include:
- Always use the correct safety gear when painting the shower pan. These may include eye protectors, gloves, a respirator, and suitable clothing.
- Keep your bathroom well ventilated by opening windows or using an exhaust fan during the painting and priming process.
- You may need protective kneepads if you will kneel when painting your shower pan.
- Lay down a drop cloth before painting to protect your bathroom floor. Also, cover the drains and edges of the shower pan with painter’s tape.
- Use a plastic bag to cover the showerhead to prevent moisture from dripping into the shower pan.
These tips help you avoid accidents and obtain the best results from your project.
Here are the steps to prepare your shower pan for painting:
- Clean your shower pan
Clean your shower pan thoroughly using an abrasive cleaner containing bleach, rinse well and repeat when necessary. If any dirt, soap, or oil is left behind, it will interfere with the paint.
- Remove Caulking
Using a caulk tool, remove caulking around the edges of the shower pan. Use a scouring pad to scrape the interior and rinse well. Also, you may use a shower and tub repair kit to fill any nicks or gouges on the surface.
Ensure the surface has some slight roughness to enable the primer and paint to adhere to the surface. Also, it will increase the longevity of the new colour.
- Removing dust and drying the shower pan
At this stage, you need to wear a dust mask to protect your lungs from foreign particles. After the sanding process, wipe the shower pan to remove any dust particles. Also, allow adequate time to remove all traces of moisture as they can affect the efficiency of your paint. To speed up this process, you can alternatively use a blow-dryer.
Shower Pan Painting Procedure
Here is the step-by-step procedure of painting your shower pan:
- Apply the liquid primer
The refinishing kit for painting a shower pan comes with a liquid primer. Use a paper towel to apply it. After application, mix a hardener with a color from your kit. Mix it thoroughly and allow up to 5 minutes to settle.
- Apply the paint
Pour the paint mixture on the provided paint tray. Using a paint roller, spread a coat of paint on the entire shower pan. Use a foam brush to reach the hidden corners of the pan.
You should apply more paint on your roller or brush at this stage. After applying the first coat, you are ready to apply the second coat after the first coat dries.
- Allow your shower pan to dry
Allow up to 45 minutes for your shower pan to dry. Later, you can remove the painter’s tape. It would be best if you allowed 20 hours before applying fresh caulk. Rinse the shower pan with fresh water before using it.
Tips For Painting Your Shower Pan
Use the following tips when painting your shower pan to enjoy an easy process and time:
- Always cover your skin at all times.
- Use protective gears such as gloves, goggles, and a respiratory mask.
- Carefully read the safety precautions on the paint instructions.
- Allow proper ventilation in the bathroom by opening windows and limiting the time you are exposed to harmful fumes.
- If you suffer from allergies or other illnesses, always ask the doctor whether you are fit for this job.
- You can purchase shower pan and bathtub refinishing kits since they contain the required spray and paint.
- Use light layers to paint at a time since thicker paint could run and clump.
- Use semi-gloss or high-gloss rather than eggshell or flat paint for the best results. Glossier paint has the best water repellent properties. It would help if you always used latex-enamel-based paint.
If you can’t carry out these steps on your own, you can always enlist the services of a professional for better work and more predictable results.
Replacing your worn-out and discoloured shower pan can be expensive and demanding. Luckily, you can paint any shower pan with the best paint for each type of shower pan. You only have to purchase the paint and follow the right approach. Importantly, you need to take precautions and prepare your shower pan well for the best results.
We have covered all that painting a shower pan entails in our discussion. With this knowledge, you can now decide whether to carry out the approach on your own or hire someone to carry it on your behalf. There is no need to buy a new shower pan since you can paint your shower pan today and give it a refreshing new look!