Shower heads can consume lots of water if they’re not tuned properly. In fact, a lot of water goes to waste in bathrooms with only a small amount being utilized. With the right shower head, you can still enjoy a good and powerful shower while saving on the water used.
While most shower heads deliver about 2.5GPM of water or more, you can still use one with 2.0GPM of water with excellent experience. 2 GPM (gallons per minute) is still strong enough to provide a powerful shower without wasting your water. For this reason, most water saving shower heads are capped at 2GPM.
High efficiency shower heads save on water through various technologies and I did my research to bring you 7 of the best. These are water saving shower heads which focus on using as little water as possible without compromising on the quality of the shower.
Best Water Saving Shower Heads
From my reviews, I settled on the following 7 shower heads for saving water:
The details for each efficient shower head are as follows:
1. Delta Faucet 2-Spray H2Okinetic Shower Head
Delta makes some of the best bathroom appliances most notably shower heads. This 2-Spray Shower head packs many great features the best of which is the Watersense label. This means that you can use the shower in all its glory while spending less than 20% of the water you’d normally spend.
Added to the Watersense feature is the PowerDrench Spray which provides up to 3 times more coverage for the body without increasing the amount of water you’ll be using. You also get more intensity from this shower given the intensity of the droplets and the way it sculpts the water to your body.
- Watersense label means the shower head saves up to 20% of the water used without compromising on the quality of the shower. This increases to 36% of savings with the H2OKinetics technology.
- The Delta PowerDrench system provides up to 3 times the water coverage compared to standard shower heads.
- Can operate at either 2.5 or 1.85 GPM.
- 2 spray options.
- Sculpts water in a unique pattern that increases the intensity of the shower.
- Self-cleaning spray holes prevent the buildup of dirt and minerals.
- Easy installation process.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Smaller than standard shower heads.
This water saving shower head provides the most wholesome experience since I never notice the fact that I’m using 20% less water than other shower heads.
2. Niagara Earth Massage 1.25GPM Low Flow Showerhead
Second on my list is the Niagara Earth Massage shower head with a water flow of 1.25GPM and 3 spray options. While 1.25GPM might seem little, the shower has been crafted to spray the water powerfully giving off a strong and immersive result for a wholesome shower. As suggested by its name, the shower head provides a massage feeling when in use.
Another great feature about this shower head is that it maintains the water pressure no matter the amount of pressure coming into it. It does this without aerating the water. This provides full water droplets from its 9 turbo massage jets.
- Saves up to 30% of water used due to the 1.25GPM water flow.
- Strong high-impact ABS thermoplastic body that doesn’t corrode.
- 9 turbo massage jets that can be adjusted.
- Maintenance-free shower head.
- Maintains a constant water flow no matter the water pressure.
- Easy installation.
- Tilting mechanism to get different angles.
- Smaller than standard shower heads.
Even at 1.25GPM, I found it to be quite strong and effective in massaging and cleaning the body. It’s clearly one of the bets water saving shower heads.
3. High Sierra’s All Metal 1.5GPM High Efficiency Low Flow Showerhead
Another Waternsense-certified shower head delivering a great shower experience at a low flow, this entrant from High Sierra comes in variants of 1.5GPM, 1.8GPM and 2GPM. All the three options have the same great features and water-saving capabilities making it one of the best low flow shower heads.
It saves up to 40% of the water you use per shower while still offering great a shower experience. It’s also maintenance-free in that it has self-cleaning nozzles and a metal body that won’t rust or break down in any way.
- Watersense-certified and saves up to 40% of water without compromising on the quality.
- Metal construction that guarantees longevity.
- Maintenance-free shower head.
- Available in chrome, brushed nickel, polished brass and oil rubbed bronze.
- Easy installation.
- Small shower head.
Even with its diminutive size, this shower head delivers one of the best experiences while saving you a lot in terms of the water and electricity.
4. H2OME High Pressure Handheld Shower Head with Powerful Shower Spray
So far, I’ve been focused fixed shower heads with a minimal design. If you need a bigger one but still want to save on your water bill, look no farther than this entrant from H2OME. It comes with a large, round head that’s handheld and attached on the end of a stainless-steel hose. The hose is flexible and durable for bends and twists without breaking apart.
It boosts the water pressure for a powerful and immersive shower experience like no other. This happens no matter the water pressure from the shower’s inlet. It’s meant to keep you focused on your shower experience as it’s maintenance-free with easy-clean rubber nozzles.
- Boosts the water pressure for an immersive shower experience.
- 3 spray functions (Powerful Shooting, Pulse Massage, Mixed).
- Handheld shower head with a stainless-steel hose.
- Easy-clean rubber nozzles for a maintenance-free user experience.
- Can be used in hand and when docked.
- Can leak if not tightened properly between the hose and shower head.
Easily one of the best water efficient shower heads when it comes to a shower-head in a bathroom with low water pressure.
5. Luxsego Ionic Shower Head
If you’re in the market for a shower head that saves water and still cleans it in a beautiful package, the Luxsego Ionic shower head is one of the best in this category. It’s a handheld shower head that sieves the water through negative ion mineral stones and infrared mineral stones. You get water that’s gentle on your skin and hair.
It also uses the micro nozzle technology in which very tiny holes are used to increase the water pressure up to 200% without the need to increase the pressure of the inlet. With three spray options (rainfall, massage and jetting), you can enjoy a powerful shower without too much of an increase on your bills.
- Saves up to 40% of the water used without a compromise on the shower experience.
- Increases the water pressure by at least 200% with the micro nozzle technology.
- Packed with negative ion mineral stones and infrared mineral stones which clean the water for softer and smoother skin and hair.
- 3 spray settings (rainfall, massage and jetting) for variations in your shower experience.
- Easy to install since it fits most shower arms without the need for tools and complex manuals.
- Made of high quality materials ensuring no leaks or breakdowns.
- Always make sure the parts are tightened and in place before turning on the water to avoid damage.
When I reviewed it, I first ran into an issue where the water would turn into the color of the beads then clog up. I then realized I hadn’t tightened the two compartments together. Besides that, it’s a great water saving shower head.
6. Earth Showerhead – Niagara Conservation
This second entrant from Niagara Conservation could easily find itself at the top thanks to its great features and a clever way of conserving water while providing the needed shower experience. It’s a handheld shower head with a docking system and a flexible hose 72 inches long.
With a GPM of 2.0, you save about 20% of the water compared to a standard shower head at 2.5 GPM. Even with the slightly lower GPM, the 9 jets have the turbo massage feature which forces water out creating a great feeling on the body. The fact that it doesn’t aerate the water means that there’s little loss of heat in the droplets.
- Saves up to 20% of the water used.
- Maintenance-free shower head with self-cleaning ability.
- Doesn’t aerate the water droplets thus conserving heat.
- Maximum GPM of 2.0.
- Handheld design with a 72-inch flexible hose and mounting bracket.
- You need proper fitting to avoid leaks.
A good-looking and water-saving shower head that can even be used with your RV.
7. Moen 26100EP Engage Magnetix 3.5-Inch Six-Function Handheld Showerhead
Well-known Moen created this beautiful shower head with the aim of providing the needed shower experience, saving on your water bills and making your bathroom look great. It has a GPM of 1.75 with full droplets delivered powerfully.
It’s a handheld showerhead with a magnetic docking system that adds to its high level of convenience. Available in chrome and spot resist brushed nickel, this shower head is a great compliment to your bathroom. It also features various shower settings for your choosing.
- 1.75GPM to save on the water used.
- Great build quality with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Magnetic dock for ease of use.
- Large 3.5-inch showerhead for better coverage.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- The plastic can’t take too much abuse.
While it has a well-measured magnet, the fact that it has a plastic head can be an issue if you drop it frequently. Other than that, it’s a good option for saving water while enjoying a great shower. Other Moen Magnetic shower heads are just as impressive.
If your home generally has low water pressure, you may need to go for handheld shower heads for low water pressure instead. These also use low water pressure but are held in the hand with some being fixed as well.
Types of Low Flow Showerheads
While all water-saving shower heads are created to save water, they’re designed differently. Three main types exist as follows:
1. Fixed shower heads
The simplest type of shower head is the fixed one. It’s a shower head fixed on a shower arm without the option move it around. Some may tilt around but won’t move independent of the shower arm. They still provide a great experience with a handsfree operation.
2. Handheld shower heads
Next to the fixed showerheads are the handheld ones. This type of shower heads can be moved around a bit when held in the hand. Basically, it’s a shower head attached at the end of a flexible hose. It can, however, be docked and used as a fixed shower head as well.
3. Combo shower heads
This type of shower head combines a fixed element that can’t be moved around and a movable part that’s handheld. This type offers a more luxurious feel although it might use more water than the previous ones especially when using both shower heads at the same time.
Benefits of a Low Flow Showerhead
Among the benefits you enjoy with a low flow showerhead include the following:
1. Conserves water
Good, clean, running water is a scarce resource and wasting it isn’t a good thing for you and the planet as a whole. With a low flow shower head, you can save up to 15,000 gallons of water each year as per the calculations of the EPA. This totals to about 250 billion gallons each year if everyone saved water in their bathrooms.
The positive effects of this are far-reaching. Not only will there be more clean water for everyone, but more natural resources will be saved from exploitation. The main effect will be that the earth will be a better place as more people will have access to water and less of the earth will be exploited through the reduction of everyone’s carbon footprint.
2. Saves money
A low flow shower head uses less water for each shower session. This means that you’ll be spending less money paying for the water at the end of the month. The fact also that you’ll be using less water means you’ll be spending less electricity to heat the water. By estimation, you can reduce your water and electricity bills by as much as 50% (half).
3. Affords more control
You also get more control having a low flow shower head in terms of the ability to pause the water, timers to use water for less time, and the desired GPM. Most of them also come with the ability to change the spray settings to what you feel is the best option.
Buyer’s Guide: What to Consider When Buying A Water-Saving Showerhead
The factors to consider when looking for a good and reliable water saving shower head include the following:
1. The flow rate
The flow rate refers to the rate at which flows through the shower head. It’s measured in GPM (gallons per minute). While it can go as high as 3.5 GPM for a shower head, low flow ones are able to provide a flow as little as 1.5GPM without messing up the shower experience. Generally speaking, the lower the flow rate, the better the level of savings.
2. Water pressure level
The water pressure in reference here is the force with which the water is pushed in your bathroom pipes. It’s measured in PSI and the average is 80 PSI. A low flow shower head can make pressure as low as 60 PSI feel comfortable and enough for a good and thorough shower.
3. Water saving technology
With the focus of these shower heads being saving on the water used, there are several ways. They include the following:
- The use of a physical flow restrictor to limit the amount of water passing through.
- Automatic flow restrictors that limit the flow of water to a certain level no matter the inlet pressure. They adjust accordingly to achieve that.
- Vacuum flow restrictors. These increase the water pressure through a vacuum chamber but without using more water.
- Aeration of the water to increase the pressure without using more water.
Any one or a combination of these technologies should be enough to save on the water you use but still provide a good shower.
4. Spray settings
Although a single shower setting is enough for most users, having more is an added advantage. Most shower heads have more than one spray setting which can be switched with ease as you see fit.
The most important piece of certification in this regard is the Environmental Protection Agency’s Watersense certification. This guarantees you that, no matter the water inflow you have, your shower head will not permit pressures above 2GPM.
6. Type of shower head
As discussed in the previous sections, the main types of shower heads are the fixed, handheld and combination (combo) types. Depending on your needs, you should get the one that best suits you. You should know that, with more features, the shower head gets costlier with the least and most expensive types being the fixed and combo types respectively.
7. Shower head quality and design
There are many qualities, designs and finishes available on the market as far as shower heads are concerned. You can get finishes in chrome, nickel and many others. There also qualities in terms of the materials used with metal and plastic being the main options. As for the design, the list is endless and heavily reliant on the type of showerhead you go for.
You should also be able to easily clean your shower head if it gets clogged or damaged. With these options, it’s easy finding a shower head that fits your bathroom perfectly.
A warranty is a sign of confidence a company has in their products. Generally speaking, the longer the warranty, the better the product will be. Some products may offer short warranties but still have good qualities. For this reason, get a shower head with at least a year of warranty to be on the safe side.
Armed with these considerations, you can get the shower head of your desire from the list above.